Skip to menu Skip to content Skip to footer
Banner only


Domestic student

You're a domestic student if you're:

  • a citizen of Australia or New Zealand
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

Commencing student

You're a commencing student if you:

  • haven't undertaken any tertiary study at a bachelor level or above (other than studies in special university programs designed for secondary school students)
  • will complete, or will have completed, Year 12 studies in the 2-year period prior to the year of the award.

Evidence of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status

If you're asked to provide evidence of your Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander status, this is usually given under the common seal of a community organisation. Where exceptional circumstances apply, statutory declarations and other forms of documentation may be considered. Original or certified copies of documentation must be provided.

International student

You're an international student if you're:

  • intending to study on a student visa
  • not a citizen of Australia or New Zealand
  • not an Australian permanent resident
  • a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.

QTAC Educational Access Scheme (EAS)

The Educational Access Scheme (EAS) helps QTAC applicants whose recent study was impacted by financial or personal challenges to help you compete for tertiary study on a more equal basis. Anyone applying for tertiary study through QTAC can apply for EAS.

There are 5 categories you can apply for:

  1. financial hardship
  2. home environment and responsibilities
  3. English language difficulty
  4. personal illness or disability
  5. school environment

If your EAS application is successful, you may receive adjustments to your QTAC selection rank (e.g. if your ATAR is 80.00 and you receive 5 entry adjustments your ATAR is raised to 85.00).

If you're eligible for the financial hardship category, you may be eligible for scholarships and bursaries with a financial hardship focus.  

Visit the QTAC website to learn more about QTAC's EAS.

Remoteness areas

To qualify as having lived in a remote area, you must have lived in an area that falls under one of the below remoteness classifications for for at least 5 consecutive years, or for at least 10 years cumulatively.

  • Remoteness Area 2 (RA2)
  • Remoteness Area 3 (RA3)
  • Remoteness Area 4 (RA4)
  • Remoteness Area 5 (RA5)

Remoteness Areas are defined by the Australian Statistical Geography Standard – Remoteness Area structure (ASGS -RA). To check your residency areas use the Health Workforce Locator tool. Check the '2016' box of the ASGS Remoteness Areas line, select 'Find address' and enter your full address, 'Search Location' - the Code RA number and area description will be indicated under the heading of ASGS Remoteness Areas.