At a glance
- Mature Age
Awarded to a student from India studying postgraduate coursework.
An applicant is eligible for the scholarship, if the applicant -
- (a) submits an application to the Head, by the closing date for applications; and
- (b) is a citizen of India; and
- (c) achieved a GPA (or overseas equivalent) of 80% over 7 semesters of undergraduate studies or 75% over 8 semesters of undergraduate studies at a higher education institution in India; and
- (d) is able to commence as an international student in Australia on a student visa.
About the award
The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage and reward students from India studying postgraduate coursework programs administered by the School of Chemistry & Molecular Biosciences at The University of Queensland.
The Senate may award up to 4 scholarships each year on the recommendation of the Head. One of every two scholarships shall be awarded to a student eligible to enrol in the Master of Biotechnology (16 unit or 24 unit) program.
The value of the scholarship is 50% of the tuition fees payable for the minimum number of units required to complete the program by the student who is awarded the scholarship, for each semester for which it is held.
For the selection process, the Head must establish a selection committee, comprising a minimum of three directors of postgraduate coursework programs administered by the School of Chemistry & Molecular Biosciences. The Head will appoint a chairperson from those appointed to the selection committee.
The scholarship is awarded to the applicant showing greatest merit as demonstrated by -
- (a) academic achievement in undergraduate studies; and
- (b) strength of interest demonstrated in the relevant field of postgraduate coursework study; and
- (c) personal qualities, including leadership potential; and
- (d) any other matter that the selection committee considers to be relevant to the applicant's future professional success in the relevant field of postgraduate coursework study.
Terms and conditions
The recipient may hold the scholarship for the minimum completion time of the relevant program, subject to the recipient -
- (a) continuing to be enrolled full-time in the relevant program, unless otherwise exempted by the Head; and
- (b) achieving a GPA of at least 4 for each semester of study in which the recipient holds the scholarship; and
- (c) resuming study after an approved interruption of up to 1 year, as approved by the Head; and
- (d) being eligible to continue to hold a student visa.
If the recipient fails to satisfy rule 6(1), the student must show cause to the Head why the scholarship should not be cancelled.
The recipient may be required by the Head to pay the full tuition fee of any course that is repeated.
In this rule - minimum completion time, means the minimum period of time it would take a student to complete the remainder of the program in which the recipient is enrolled when the recipient is awarded the scholarship.
How to apply
For applications for first semester (March) enrolment, the closing date is 31 October each year.
For applications for second semester (July) enrolment, the closing date is 31 March each year.
Please refer to http://www.scmb.uq.edu.au/scholarships for application details.Applications close:31 October 2016SCMB Indian Scholarship Rules.pdfBefore you apply:
- You are encouraged to read the definitive rules for this scholarship prior to application, in particular any specific eligibility conditions and check the FAQs if you have any questions.
Enquiries about this scholarshipContact:School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences+61 (7) 3365 3925