At a glance
***Changes are currently proposed to this scheme by the Australian Government. This scholarship may be replaced by an alternative scheme in 2017.*** The APA scholarships are awarded competitively based on merit, to domestic students of exceptional research potential undertaking a research higher degree.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a domestic student studying full-time and onshore in Australia.^
- Be nominated by the enrolling school or institute.
- Be assessed by the Graduate School as meeting all conditions for admission to the research higher degree program.
- Have an academic qualification equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree with Honours Class I.
- Not hold a qualification at the same or a higher level than the research higher degree program you are undertaking.
- Not previously have held a Commonwealth funded research higher degree scholarship, unless it was terminated within six months of the scholarship commencing or be a current APA holder transferring to UQ.
- Not be receiving an award, scholarship or salary providing a benefit greater than 75% of the APA rate to undertake the research higher degree program.
^A part-time student with carer’s responsibilities, a medical condition or a disability, which prevents them from studying full time may be eligible for scholarship consideration, on a case by case basis.
Students can be considered for scholarship twice. Consideration can be prior to enrolment, or in the first round after the confirmation milestone* is achieved.
In instances where the candidate is awarded a scholarship after commencement there will be no retrospective payments of this scholarship.
About the award
How to apply
To apply for admission to the UQ PhD or MPhil program and a scholarship visit the UQ Graduate School website.
Students can apply at any time for admission to research higher degree programs. However, students who wish to be considered for a UQ Graduate School scholarship should note that the RHD Scholarship Selection Committee meets two times a year to select the recipients. In order to have your scholarship application considered for recommendation by the school/institute we advise that you submit your application for admission and scholarship as early as possible.
View the website for details of scholarship rounds and commencement dates.
The Postgraduate Administration Officer (PGAO) in your proposed enrolling school or institute will be able to help you through the application process and assist you with any questions you may have.Applications close:31 December 2017Before you apply:
- You are encouraged to read the definitive rules for this scholarship prior to application, in particular any specific eligibility conditions and check the FAQs if you have any questions.
Enquiries about this scholarshipContact:UQ Graduate School