At a glance
International students from Bangladesh, Bhutan, Botswana, Cambodia, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Pacific Collectivities (New Caledonia, French Polynesia, and Wallis and Futuna), Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mongolia, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Palau, Samoa, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam and Zambia (as at January 2017). Please note the opening and closing dates differ by country and the following dates are a guide only. Please check the website for the opening and closing dates for your country.
About the award
The Awards are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. The following benefits generally apply:
- Full tuition fees
- Return air travel—payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route
- Establishment allowance—a once only payment of A$5,000 as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) – is a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department. From 1 January 2013, CLE payable to awardees is A$30,000 per year.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP)—a compulsory 4-6 week program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on life and study in Australia
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only)—provided to cover the student's basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees—if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training
- Supplementary Academic Support may be available to ensure a Scholar's academic success or enhance their academic experience
- Fieldwork (for research awardees and Master by coursework which has a research component where fieldwork is compulsory component)—may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
To find our more about these awards and frequently asked questions, please visit the Australia Awards Scholarships website.
Please find application instructions on the Australia Awards website.
Terms and conditions
- Applicants who want to accept an Australia Awards scholarship will need to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring that they will comply with the conditions of the scholarship.
- Awardees are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the awardee incurring a debt for the total accrued cost of their scholarship
How to applyApplications close:30 April 2017Before you apply:
- You are encouraged to read the definitive rules for this scholarship prior to application, in particular any specific eligibility conditions and check the FAQs if you have any questions.
Enquiries about this scholarshipContact:Scholarships and Alumni Branch, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade