2017 APPLICATIONS OPENING SOON
UQ's Academic Scholarship program aims to reward the achievements of outstanding school leavers and gap year students.
If you are a high-achieving student and you are completing Year 12 in 2016 (or you completed in 2015 and you’re on a gap year) then you are encouraged to apply.
UQ Vice-Chancellors Scholarship recipient and Bachelor of Engineering student.
There are three categories of Academic Scholarship on offer:
UQ Vice-Chancellor's Scholarships
Awarded to applicants who achieve at the very top of the OP1 band (or ATAR equivalent).
UQ Excellence Scholarships
OP1 (or equivalent) applicants who have demonstrated outstanding academic, leadership and/or significant community service achievements during years 11-12.
High achieving students (OP 1-3) who have demonstrated significant academic, leadership and/or community service will be considered.
ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN SHORTLY. PLEASE KEEP CHECKING THIS SITE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
Academic scholarships are open to Year 12 and gap year students who:
- are Australian Citizens or Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holders; or
- are Australian Permanent Residents, New Zealand citizens, or international student who is completing or has completed Years 11 and 12 in Australia;
- have NOT completed any previous tertiary study other than that undertaken as part of Year 11-12 studies (eg. Enhanced Studies Program); and
- have applied for a tertiary place through the Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre (QTAC); and
- are intending to enrol as a full-time student in an undergraduate program at The University of Queensland in 2016 (or 2017 if they are deferring their tertiary place); and
- have UQ listed as their 1st or 2nd QTAC preference.
- Scholarship recipients will be determined by a panel of senior UQ staff and selection is completely at the University’s discretion.
- Scholarships will be awarded with consideration to a range of factors including but not necessarily limited to academic achievement, demonstrated leadership and/or community service achievements, financial need, program preferences and secondary school attended.
- Bonus ranks applied as a result of any scheme will NOT apply for the purposes of awarding scholarships.
Frequently asked questions
I achieved an OP 1. Does this mean I will be awarded an Academic Scholarship?
Unfortunately no. Due to the limited number of scholarships available, not all OP 1 applicants will be successful.
Will bonus points/ranks increase my OP result for the purposes of being awarded an Academic Scholarship?
No. Bonus points applied as a result of undertaking a language other than English, Maths C or enhanced studies, or applied as a consequence of a special entry program will NOT apply for the purposes of determining academic rank for one of these scholarships.
I want to be considered for all 3 Academic Scholarships, do I submit 3 separate applications?
No - You only need to submit the 1 application to be considered for the UQ Vice-Chancellor's, UQ Excellence and UQ Merit Scholarships.
What are some examples of Academic Achievement, Leadership and Community Service?
Only outstanding academic achievements in Years 11-12 will be considered. For example, medallists, state or national finalist or students receiving a high distinction in a nation-wide competition. For example, UNSW ICAS Maths Competition, RACI Aust National Chemistry Quiz, Aust Space Design Competition, Bond Uni Mooting Competion.
School subject awards will NOT be considered.
Only signficant leadership roles will be considered. For example, School Captain, Sporting Captain or coach, prefect, SRC office-bearer (eg President, Treasurer).
Only significant and sustained community service will be considered. For example, Active Volunteer Surf Lifesaver, regular volunteer for Eddie's Van or Rosies, Friends on the Street Outreach (or similar), The Smith Family Students to Student Reading Program volunteer. Participating in one-off doorknock appeals (eg. Red Shield) or fund-raisers will not generally be considered.
The sample application form which can be viewed prior to commencing your online application provides a more comprehensive list of examples.
How can I add my banking details to mySi-net?
You can update your scholarship bank account details by following these steps:
- Login to mySI-net.
- In the left hand Menu, click on Financial.
- Click on Scholarship Bank Details.
- Update your bank account details.
What's the closing date for applications?
All applications (both online and supporting documentation) must be received by 5 p.m. Saturday 31st October, 2015.
Will I be notified that my application has been received?
You will receive an electronic confirmation of application lodgement to your nominated email account within 48 hours of submission. If you do not receive this email, please contact the Undergraduate Scholarships and Prizes Office by email to email@example.com or phone 07 3365 7113.
What should I do if I submit incorrect information on my application form?
Please email the Undergraduate Scholarships and Prizes Office at firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name, QTAC number and an explanation of the information which needs to be amended. Please note that you will need to provide hard-copy evidence that supports any changes you make to the academic achievements, leadership and community service sections in your online form. Changes can only be accepted until Tuesday 1 December 2015.
How are scholarships selected?
- UQ Vice-Chancellor's Scholarships are automatically awarded to all applicants who achieve at the very top of the OP1 band (or ATAR equivalent).
- UQ Excellence and UQ Merit Scholarships are awarded on the basis of a range of factors including but not necessarily limited to academic achievement, demonstrated leadership and/or community service, financial need, program preferences and secondary school attended.
The award of scholarships is entirely at the discretion of The University of Queensland and no appeals regarding the non-award of an Academic Scholarship will be entered into. Please refer to the Academic Scholarship Information and Rules for more detailed information regarding the University's selection policies.
I deferred my university studies for a year after finishing Year 12. Am I still eligible for a UQ Academic Scholarship?
Yes. UQ Academic Scholarships are available to current Year 12 students as well as students who have taken a gap year as long as they have not undertaken any university studies during that time.
- I achieved an OP 1. Does this mean I will be awarded an Academic Scholarship?
How to apply
Step 1: Online Application Form
Applicants only need to complete and submit ONE application form to be considered for the three different types of Academic Scholarships on offer.
Before you apply, you will need to apply to QTAC to receive your reference number. Your QTAC number is the reference number which you receive after you have lodged your QTAC application online. Your QTAC number will begin with a '17' (or a '16' if you are a gap year student who applied through QTAC in 2016).
Please answer ALL questions on the Online Application Form. Once you have completed the form, click the SUBMIT link. The Online Application Form and all supporting documentation for 2017 Academic Scholarships must be received by The University of Queensland by the due date (TBA). Late applications will NOT be considered.
Once you have submitted the online form, you should receive an email from the UQ Scholarships Office to confirm that your Online Application Form has been received. Please contact the UQ Scholarships Office if you haven’t received your confirmation email within two working days of submitting your application.
Step 2: Supporting Documentation/Evidence
Once you have completed your online form, the following documentation will need to be uploaded to the Application portal, all documentation must be uploaded before your application is considered complete. Applications without supporting documentation will not be considered.
The University of Queensland complies with Australian and Queensland privacy laws and guidelines. The University of Queensland treats information collected by it as confidential. Information supplied by you will only be used for the purpose of assessing your eligibility for a scholarship and the scholarship selection process.
The University of Queensland will not make available to a third party any personal information supplied by you unless required or permitted by law or where you have consented to the disclosure. The University may distribute aggregated statistical information for statutory reporting purposes but only in a form that will not identify any person individually. For more information please consult the UQ Privacy Management Policy.
Before you apply:
Application start date:30 August 2016Application end date:31 October 2016
- Before you start completing the Academic Scholarship Online Application Form, you must read the Academic Scholarship Information and Rules
- Once you have submitted your online application form it be possible to return to it to make changes.
- Before you apply, you will need to apply to QTAC to receive your reference number. Your QTAC number is the reference number which you receive after you have lodged your QTAC application online. Your QTAC number will begin with a '17' (or a '16' if you are a gap year student who applied through QTAC in 2016).
- Please contact the Scholarships Office before November 30 if you change your 1st or 2nd QTAC preferences after submitting your application, as this information is used for selection purposes.
Enquiries about this scholarshipContact position or department:Undergraduate Scholarships & Prizes Office07 3365 7113